One of the many ways UIC sets itself apart from other universities is by extending a wide variety of research opportunities to undergraduates. The Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) program works by pairing undergraduate students with faculty mentors who have similar research interests. Students develop projects, collect data, and present findings via a symposium and a research paper. In addition to preparing students for entry and completion of graduate school, participants build important relationships with key role models—world-renowned faculty members; and often win awards for their work.
Another research program that UIC offers is the Undergraduate Research Assistant Program, which gives Honors College students (who have completed freshman year) the opportunity to pursue a wide range of research activity—including business, education, engineering, the humanities and the arts, the natural sciences and mathematics, and the social sciences.
Liberal Arts students can learn more about undergraduate research programs in their field, including information about financial support, by contacting a representative at LASURI (Liberal Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Initiative).
To celebrate student research, UIC hosts the Student Research Forum each spring. Undergraduate, graduate and professional students can present their scholarly activity in a venue that celebrates research from all disciplines. Student work is judged by a panel made up of UIC alumni.
For more information, visit the following Undergraduate Research sites.
- Undergraduate Research Experience (URE)
- The Journal of Undergraduate Research at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- UIC Student Research Forum
- GWS Undergraduate Research and Awards
- UIC Honors College Undergraduate Research Assistant program
- Liberal Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research Initiative (LASURI)
- Summer Research Opportunities Program for Undergraduates (SROP)
- College of Dentistry Multidisciplinary Oral Science Training Program (MOST Summer)
- College of Pharmacy Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow (SURF) Award
Meet Saad, the 2011-2012 undergraduate student body president, future medical student and Parkour enthusiast. See what he has to say about the "UIC allure" and how the desire to both travel and practice medicine has influenced his future goals.
- African American Academic Network
- African American Cultural Center
- Asian American Resource and Cultural Center
- Disability Resource Center
- Gender and Sexuality Center
- Latin American Recruitment and Educational Services Center (LARES)
- Latino Cultural Center
- Native American Support Program
- TRIO – Academic Support Program
- Women's Leadership and Resource Center
© Copyright 2015 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois