Skip navigation

Section navigation

Admission Requirements - Professional

Admission Requirements - Professional

How Do I Apply?

You will need to submit the following materials in order to apply to a professional program at UIC:

  1. Completed Professional Application. (link to apply_prof page).
  2. Application Fee (non-refundable)

DMD = $85
IDDP = $150
DPT = $60
PharmD = $60

  1. Undergraduate coursework (US coursework through CAS; university issued foreign transcripts & degrees)
  2. Post-baccalaureate coursework (US coursework through CAS; university issued foreign transcripts & degrees)
  3. Certified English translations of all foreign-language credentials
  4. TOEFL or IELTS score (TOEFL scores must be reported directly to UIC by ETS. Paper score reports will not be accepted as official scores unless they are sent to our office directly by ETS. International applicants and applicants with foreign coursework only)
  5. Supplementary materials as determined by program (GRE and other test scores, personal statement, letters of recommendation, writing samples, Millers analogies, etc.). Please contact your department for specific requirements.
  6. If course work is in progress, final transcripts with grades recorded and proof of any degrees awarded will be required upon enrollment.

back to top of page top of page

International Applicants

Country requirements for professional applicants:

back to top of page top of page

What is an International student?

The university considers any student who currently holds a visa of any type or is seeking a visa to be international. Even if you do not require a student (F or J) visa to attend UIC, you are viewed as an international applicant. Most policies which apply to those seeking student visas will apply to holders of other types of visas.

Citizenship Types

U.S. Citizen
Born or naturalized
U.S. Permanent Resident
Green card holder. You should submit an Alien Registration Number and a copy of your PR card with the application.
International Student
For the university’s purposes, this is anyone who currently holds a visa of any type or who is in need of an I-20 or DS-2019.
Adjustment in Status
This category is for applicants who are in the process of becoming a permanent resident. You should submit any documentation that can provide details of your status such as receipts or petitions from USCIS.
Non-citizen (Other)
This should only be used if none of the other categories apply to you. Once again, valid visa holders or those seeking a visa should not use this category.

back to top of page top of page

Evidence of English Competency

TOEFL/IELTS Exemptions

TOEFL/IELTS exemptions are not determined by the prevalence of spoken English in your country or the language of instruction at your university.

You may qualify for a waiver if you can provide the following:


There are no minimum requirements for the TOEFL for professional programs, however, individual UIC departments and programs may require specific scores. Please check with your department for more information.

Other English Competency tests

Other English competency exams may be available to students and may be accepted by other institutions. UIC accepts scores for TOEFL and IELTS only. We do not accept TSE, TWE, Cambridge examinations, TOEIC, or other similar tests in place of TOEFL. Some departments may give consideration to students who have completed these exams (specifically TSE and TWE) in addition to the TOEFL or IELTS. Please contact your department on details regarding their policies.

TOEFL scores must be reported directly to UIC by ETS. Paper score reports will not be accepted as official scores unless they are sent to our office directly by ETS.

back to top of page top of page

Understanding the I-20 Process

How does the I-20 process work?

Once you have been recommended for admission by your department, the next step is being approved for official admission by the university and getting an I-20 issued.

Once the Office of Admissions has approved your department's recommendation of admission, the Office of Admissions and Records will process your official admission. An admission letter will be issued for you and the Office of International Services (OIS) will be notified to begin preparing your I-20 or DS-2019.

The Office of Admissions and Records is not the office responsible for the actual issuance of your I-20/DS-2019. Instead, your file must be sent to the Office of International Services (OIS). OIS will make a final review and begin the I-20/DS-2019 process. Once your file has gone to the Office of International Services, the Office of Admissions and Records can no longer give you information about its status. During peak processing times, the Office of International Services requires a minimum of 20 business days for the issuance of an I-20/DS-2019.

Once you have received your official, university letter of admission and your Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019), you may make an appointment at a U.S. embassy for a visa interview. From there, the process of issuing your actual visa is in the hands of the consulate officials. More information about the Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20/DS-2019) and applying for a visa may be found on the OIS website.

Evidence of financial support

Evidence of financial support for the first year of study must be submitted before an I-20 or DS-2019 will be sent to the admitted student.

Applicants must submit the following:

For more detailed information regarding evidence of financial support, please visit

When should evidence of financial support be submitted?

UIC does not require students to submit evidence of financial support at the time of application. If you have received a letter of admission from OAR or an official notification asking for financial documents from OIS, you will need to provide a bank statement or letter and a signed UIC Declaration and Certification of Finances form. If you have received a departmental award that covers the full amount of tuition, fees, and living expenses then you may be exempt from submitting separate evidence. A UIC Declaration and Certification of Finance form is still required, even if you are fully supported. Evidence from personal funds will be required of all students who have not received departmental support or whose award is insufficient.

Financial papers are time sensitive items. Please visit for recommended deadlines for submitting financial documents.

Evidence of financial support

Evidence of financial support for the first year of study must be submitted before an I-20 or DS-2019 will be sent to the admitted student. In addition, all students must submit the UIC International Student and Declaration of Finance form.
For detailed information regarding evidence of financial support, please visit

Where to send your financial documents

Financial documents should be sent to OIS at the following address:

Office of International Services (MC 326)
University of Illinois at Chicago
2160 Student Services Building
1200 West Harrison Street
Chicago, IL 60607-7164

back to top of page top of page

Glossary of terms related to academic credentials 4

We understand that from the viewpoint of many countries, the word ?transcript? is an American term. When the Office of Admissions and Records asks you for transcripts, we are actually asking for a copy of your academic record which includes courses taken, course descriptions, credits earned or hours completed, and posted grades. The following academic records are always acceptable as ?transcripts?:

Some institutions provide a separate sheet for each year or semester which details the classes taken and marks achieved by a student. The following are some criteria which the Office of Admissions and Records requires when evaluating marksheets:

Proof of Degree
The Office of Admissions and Records requires proof of all degrees that a student has earned. This should be an attested copy of your diploma or degree certificate. It should state the type of degree you were awarded, the fact that it was granted to you, and the date of conferment. Keep the following in mind when submitting proof of degree:

Diploma Supplement
The supplement provides a description of the nature, level, context and status of the studies a student pursued and successfully completed.

Syllabus/Course Descriptions
Students may be required to submit a syllabus or course descriptions if the transcript does not provide enough detail. These items will usually provide a key for understanding the courses you have taken and will provide the highlights of that course's curriculum. The Office of Admissions and Records may request these on a case-by-case basis.

Attestation/Attested Documents
OAR does not require you to submit your original documents to the university. We understand that many universities only issue one set of final, original documents to students. Students should plan to submit attested copies of all original documents to UIC. You will need to make copies of your transcripts, marksheets, or degrees and have them stamped by the Registrar or Controller of Examinations at your university. They will need to seal the attested documents in envelopes and place the same attesting stamp over the flap. We consider all properly attested and sealed documents to be official.

Official vs. Unofficial
Official documents are those which have been issued by the university and bear an original attestation. In the United States, sealed transcripts issued directly from the Registrar's office are considered as official. The university may issue transcripts directly to UIC or to the student. As long as the seal is not broken, the transcripts or proof of degree will be considered official.

From foreign institutions, copies of original documents which have been attested by the Registrar or Controller of Examinations and sealed by the same individual will be considered as official. Each document should be individually attested.

For institutions where there are several colleges affiliated to a larger university, all documents should be both issued and attested by the university. If you can only obtain college documents the following rules apply:

Documents may be considered unofficial for the following reasons:

Certified translations
The Office of Admissions requires literal, certified translations for all documents issued in a language other than English. Translations should be on a translator's letterhead and should be literal (not an interpretation). We accept translations from ATA certified translators, court-appointed translators, or from the consulate. You may find an ATA translator at their web site: Plain translations, notarized translations, and translations done by someone other than a certified translator are not acceptable. Evaluations performed by agencies such as WES and ECE will not be used in place of certified translations.

What to do when you can?t obtain the required documentation

If your university refuses to issue the required documents, you will need to request a letter from the Registrar or Controller of Exams explaining their policy. This letter should be submitted to UIC in a sealed envelope bearing the stamp of the same individual who is issuing the statement over the flap.

Students who have completed study at U.S. universities must provide transcripts for work completed. If students cannot obtain transcripts from a U.S. institution, no exception will be made so that the application can be reviewed for a decision.

back to top of page top of page

Registration Holds

Different types of registration holds and how to clear them

As a new student at UIC, you may have registration holds that will need to be cleared before you are able to enroll in classes.

Students who have been admitted with pending conditions will receive a transcript hold that is created by the Office of Admissions and Records. Usually this occurs because the Office of Admissions and Records has not yet received your final or official academic credentials. You can tell if you have been admitted conditionally by carefully reading your admit letter. The items that are pending will show at the bottom of your admit letter.

Transcript holds do not go into effect until the registration period for your 1st term at UIC is over. This means that you will not be affected by the hold until you try to register for your 2nd term at UIC. The Office of Admissions and Records encourages you to bring in your final/official documents when you first arrive on campus. By doing so, you will be able to resolve this issue before your registration is ever affected. It will also ensure that you have plenty of time to obtain correct versions of any documents that the Office of Admissions and Records has not found acceptable.

Students may also encounter advising holds. These are placed by your academic program to ensure that you meet with an advisor prior to registering for classes. You will need to consult with your academic department for an advisor assignment. They will be able to guide you through the necessary steps for having any advising holds released.

The Immunizations Office will also create holds for students who have failed to submit proper proof of immunizations. For more information on this topic go to:

When holds take effect

Transcript holds placed by OAR will begin after the 10th day of your 1st semester at UIC. Registration for your 2nd term of study (and every subsequent term) will be blocked until the required credentials have been submitted.
Immunization holds will begin during your 1st term at UIC

back to top of page top of page

Seeking a Deferral to Future Semester

Students who have been recommended for admission, but cannot attend for valid reasons, may request to defer their admission. An admitted application can only be deferred once. Admission can be deferred for up to 1 academic year. (Applicants for the Fall term may defer to the following Spring, Summer, or Fall terms, but no further.) Admission to the term is contingent upon departmental admissions practices for that term. Students do not need to submit a new application, fee, or set of academic credentials in order for a deferral to be granted.

Only students who have been officially admitted by the department and university are eligible to defer admission. Denied applications and those cancelled due to missing academic credentials cannot be deferred.

To request a deferral, please contact your academic program. Your department has the authority to grant your request or to deny it. Departmental awards may not be guaranteed for a new term.

If your deferral is approved by OAR, you will receive a letter of admission for the new term.

back to top of page top of page

When All Else Fails ?

You should always use your full, legal name on all documents that you are submitting to UIC. Please include any alternate names in the space provided on the application. If you know it, include your University Identification Number (UIN) on all documents. If you provided a different spelling of your name to ETS for GRE or TOEFL reporting, please provide this name to the Office of Admissions and Records. You may email any changes or updates to us using the UIC Prospective Student Contact form (no attachments).

Whom to contact for help

Please use the form at the following link to contact us for help:

Submitted questions will be reviewed by an admissions counselor. Most basic questions can be answered by thoroughly reading the professional application, the instructions on the website for your academic program, and our FAQ.

If you have a question or problem that is not addressed in our published material, admissions counselors are available for walk-in visits and via the phone on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays between the hours of 8:30am and 5pm (CST). Each counselor works with a different set of academic programs, but any counselor will be able to help you. Contact persons in your department of interest will also be able to answer most questions.

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for answers to a variety of questions that the Office of Admissions and Records receives on a daily basis.

back to top of page top of page