Skip navigation

Section navigation

Professional Admissions FAQ



Academic Credentials

Evidence of Financial Support

Evidence of English Competency


I am trying to submit the supplemental Admissions application online. Why isn?t my program in the drop-down menu?

  1. Double check the deadline for your program. Some programs have earlier deadlines. If the deadline has passed, the program will no longer be available on the online application. Late applications are not accepted by the Office of Admissions and Records. Please contact your program directly for information on how to apply for a future term.
  2. Be sure that your program accepts applications for the term you have selected. Many programs admit to only the Fall term. If you are applying for the Spring or Summer terms, please verify that your program considers students for admission to that term.
  3. Make sure you are in the correct application. After creating/entering your log-in ID and password, you are brought to a drop-down box that asks you to select an application type. Non-degree programs are not available under the general Graduate heading. Similarly, degree-seeking programs will not be found under the Graduate Non-degree selection.

If your program is not listed in the drop down box, please do not choose another program in order to complete the application. The Office of Admissions and Records will not manually change your program code at a later time.

I am trying to submit the supplemental Admissions application online, but I cannot find my college or university in the drop-down. What should I do?

Most U.S. institutions and many international ones can be found by going through a series of drop-down menus. We encourage you to carefully search the drop-downs before manually entering the name of the school in the box provided. Using the drop-downs will ensure that your web application is processed correctly. Here are some hints for using the drop-downs effectively:

I was never informed of a deadline or of the necessary documentation. What can I do?

The Admissions Office receives and reviews over 15,000 applications every year. Due to this high volume, we are not always able to maintain personal contact with individual students. All of the information necessary to successfully apply to UIC is included on our website, on the department's website and in the online application.

How do I qualify for a waiver or deferment of the application fee?

The following are acceptable reasons for fee waiver eligibility:

Students must provide proof of their qualification before the fee waiver will be granted. Fees will not be waived based on statements of financial hardship. Payment of the application fee cannot be deferred until the student's arrival on campus.

What financial support is available to me?

Teaching Assistantships and Fellowships are awarded through your academic department. More information on financial support can be found at:

Will you contact me when my documents arrive at UIC? When will I know that my file is complete and if a decision has been made?

Due to high volume of applications and credentials, the Office of Admissions and Records cannot contact you when documents arrive. However, if your program requires the submission of a supplemental Admissions application, you can track the status of your application online for updates as they occur.

You may log back into the online application system using the ID and password you created during the online application process and view your ?Processed Applications. Any documents that we are currently requesting will be posted under the Requirements section. Updates made to your account will be reflected immediately.

Once a decision has been made on your application, it will be viewable online next to 'Decisions' and an official letter of admission will be mailed to you. A decision of 'Pending - Manual Review Required' means that your file has been sent to your department and is awaiting a decision. The Office of Admissions and Records cannot give you any further information on a deferred application.

Applicants whose programs do not require the submission of a supplemental Admissions applications should contact the department office for information about their status.

How can I change my mailing address?

If you are a newly admitted or currently enrolled student, your mailing address may be changed through Web-for-student. Please go to:

If you are a current applicant, please submit address changes using our Contact Form.

I am currently enrolled at UIC. How can I change my program? How can I add a 2nd program to my current course of study?

Currently enrolled students do not need to submit a formal application in order to change or add a program at the same level. Instead, a Request for Change of Graduate Program should be completed. Students wishing to change or add a program should contact their current department for further information. The Change of Program form may be found at If you intend to move from a Graduate program to a Professional program, or vice versa, this option does not apply.

How do I register for classes?

Your official letter of admission will contain both your University ID Number (UIN) and Temporary Control Number (TCN, if applicable). Once you have this information, you may go to, select the Learning link, and then choose UIC Web for Student. Your ID number (along with your SSN or university provided TCN) should allow you to set up an enterprise ID and password which will then allow you to proceed to registration. You will not be allowed to register until a time ticket has been issued to you. Most new students are able to register during Open Registration times. Please consult the Office of the Registrar for further details:

How much is tuition?

Tuition and fees vary from year-to-year. For the most recent estimates, please go to:

I have a registration hold. When does this take effect? What do I need to do to have my hold lifted?

Holds may be placed on your account for many reasons. Graduate Admissions is only responsible for placing holds for 2 reasons.

If you have any other hold (Immunizations, OIS-SEVIS, Advising), you will need to contact the corresponding office for information on how that hold may be lifted.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Our application provides a place for students to report their GPA. If your department receives a copy of your application before it reaches the Office of Admissions and Records, your self-reported calculation gives them an easy way to see your GPA at a glance. You may access our online GPA calculator for assistance.

What happens if my GPA or TOEFL/IELTS score is below the minimum requirement?

A low GPA, TOEFL/IELTS, or other test score does not automatically mean you will be denied admission. These are only a few factors when departments are considering your application for admission. Professional program departments determine the minimum requirements for their programs. Please refer to your department for more information.

I?m being charged out-of-state tuition, but I?m an Illinois resident. How can I get this corrected?

New students are notified of their residency status in their admission letter. If you have been classified incorrectly or you feel your residency status has changed since your date of admission, you will need to file a Residency Petition with the Office of Admissions and Records. More information on residency and the residency petition may be found at Please carefully review all instructions when filing a petition because deadlines do apply.

I currently reside in the United States, but I am not a citizen. Which citizenship category do I fall under? How do I know if I am categorized as an international applicant?

Regardless of your current residence, you are considered to be an international applicant if you currently hold any type of visa. Here is a brief description of some of the commonly misunderstood citizenship categories.

U.S. Citizen
Born or naturalized
U.S. Permanent Resident
Green card holder. You should submit an Alien Registration Number and a copy of your PR card with the application.
International Student
For the university’s purposes, this is anyone who currently holds a visa of any type or who is in need of an I-20 or DS-2019.
Adjustment in Status
This category is for applicants who are in the process of becoming a permanent resident. You should submit any documentation that can provide details of your status such as receipts or petitions from USCIS.
Non-citizen (Other)
This should only be used if none of the other categories apply to you. Once again, valid visa holders or those seeking a visa should not use this category.

I'm a legal permanent resident. Do I follow domestic or international guidelines?

Legal permanent residents are oftentimes caught between processing policies for domestic and international students. Since students in this category are not in need of an I-20 or DS-2019, the Office of Admissions and Records generally accepts applications up to the domestic deadline. The Office of Admissions and Records still encourages students who completed studies overseas to apply early since the review and processing time may be longer when international credentials are involved. Permanent residents should expect the following:

What is a TCN and how do I obtain it?

A TCN is a 9-digit Temporary Control Number that is issued to students who do not have or did not report a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN). Your TCN can be found at the top of your admit letter. If you provided an SSN, no TCN will be issued to you.

What is a United States Social Security Number (SSN) and when do I need to provide it?

A Social Security Number is a government issued identification number generally used for tracking working individuals for taxation purposes. UIC does not require students to provide an SSN at the time of application. Students seeking financial aid or employment at the university will be required to obtain an SSN and submit it to the appropriate office. International students who do not have an SSN should not provide other national ID numbers in attempt to fully complete the application. Please see the Social Security Administration's website for more complete details:

I have used different versions of my name. What should I do to ensure that all of my documents are matched with my application?

You should always use your full, legal name on all documents that you are submitting to UIC. Please include any alternate names in the space provided on the application. When possible, include your University Identification Number (UIN) on all documents. If you provided a different ordering or spelling of your name to ETS for GRE or TOEFL/IELTS reporting, please provide this name to the Office of Admissions and Records. You may email name changes or updates to us using the UIC Prospective Student Contact form (no attachments).

Can I get a refund of my application fee?

As stated in the application, the application fee is nonrefundable. By submitting it, you agree that you understand the terms presented within the application. A cancellation or deny decision does not mean that no review was done. In fact, the instant you submit an application to us, a review is done. Before any decision is made (admit, cancel, or deny), a final review is made. In reality, no application goes un-reviewed!

If for some reason you submitted two payments for the application fee, you may request a refund by using our Contact Form. You may be asked to provide proof that two payments were made (e.g. copies of 2 cancelled checks, 2 payments made to UIC on a bank or credit card statement). Once your rebate request has been reviewed, it may take 6-8 weeks for your refund to be issued.

back to top of page back up


How long will it take to get a decision?

The time it will take to receive an admission decision will vary by department. Some departments review applications as they arrive and make decisions on a daily basis. Others will have review committees which meet a few times during the admissions season and communicate recommendations to the Office of Admissions and Records in a batch.
Once your department has made its recommendation, your application will still have to be approved by the Office of Admissions and Records before official acceptance can be issued. Departmental admission recommendations will not be approved until all application materials requested by the Office of Admissions have been received.

As always, you will receive an early decision if you apply well before the deadline and submit a complete set of required materials in one packet to the correct office.

I received an admission letter from my department. Why haven't I been admitted?

Your academic department does not have the authority to officially admit you to the university. The letter you have received from them states their intention to recommend you for admission to the program. This recommendation must then be reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Records. Please note that many Professional programs elect to maintain sole correspondence pertaining to admission and denial letters. Please refer to the program office with regard to your status as well as any pending documentation.

Why was my application cancelled?

Cancellations may be made by the Office of Admissions and Records or by your academic program. Your application may have been cancelled for the following reasons:

Why was I denied? What can I do now?

If you have received a deny decision based on review, you will need to contact your program directly for details regarding why your application was rejected. The Office of Admissions and Records cannot give you specific reasons for the decision. Your department may also be able to advise you on how to successfully seek admission for a future term.

How can I defer my admission?

Students who have been recommended for admission, but cannot attend for valid reasons, may request to defer their admission. An admitted application can only be deferred once. Admission can be deferred for up to 1 academic year. (Applicants for the Fall term may defer to the following Spring, Summer, or Fall terms, but no further.) Admission to the term is contingent upon departmental admissions practices for that term. Students do not need to submit a new application, fee, or set of academic credentials in order for a deferral to be granted (international students should see below regarding evidence of financial support).

Who qualifies for a deferral?

Only students who have been recommended admission by the department and officially admitted by the Admissions Office are eligible to defer admission.

Denied applications and those cancelled due to missing academic credentials cannot be deferred.

How to go about seeking a deferral

If you are eligible to defer your admission, you will need to contact your academic program and request a deferral. Your department has the authority to grant your request or to deny it. Departmental awards may not be guaranteed for a new term.

International Students -- If your department grants your deferral request, you will need to obtain new/correct evidence of financial support for the new term. Please keep in mind that financial documents are time sensitive and may not be honored if they are more than 6 months old from the start of the new term. The Office of Admissions and Records will not process a deferral without correct evidence of financial support.

If your deferral is approved by the Office of Admissions and Records, you will receive a letter of admission for the new term.

International students will be sent a new I-20. Please return any unused I-20s to the Office of International Services.

back to top of page back up

Academic Credentials

Where do I need to send my academic credentials?

Please refer to your department's application instructions on where to send academic credentials.
If you All academic credentials should be sent to the following address:

Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions (MC 018)
University of Illinois at Chicago
Box 7994
Chicago, Illinois 60680-7994

If a street address is required for delivery by the carrier, please use:

Office of Admissions and Records (MC 018)
University of Illinois at Chicago
1200 West Harrison Street, Suite 1100
Chicago, IL 60607

I sent my documents. Why aren't they posted to my account?

As most credentials for Professional applications will come through Centralized Application Services, receipt of your CAS application packet will be noted in your account after your CAS application is mailed and processed with your application record in our database. Otherwise, there may be several reasons to explain why documents have yet to post to your UIC account. Please keep in mind that we receive thousands of credentials every day. During peak times (between the months of November and May), it may take up to 4 weeks for your documents to be received, coded, posted to the system, and matched with your file for review. Once an admissions counselor has received your file for review, it may be determined that further documentation is required. If you submitted credentials directly to your department, receipt of your materials will be posted to your account as soon as the Office of Admissions receives them.

If your program requires the use of a supplemental Admissions application, the easiest way to track your application is by checking its status online. You may log into using the ID and password you created during the online application process and choose Edit/View your Application. Any documents that we are currently requesting will be posted under the Requirements section. Updates made to your account will be reflected immediately. Once a decision has been made on your application, it will be recorded next to 'Decisions'.

If more than 4-6 weeks have passed since you believe your documents were sent to UIC and they are still not posted to your account, please double check the following:

My program only requires a Bachelor's degree for admission. Why am I being asked to submit my post-baccalaureate (Master's) transcripts?

It is university policy to ask for records pertaining to the 1st Bachelor's degree earned by a student and all subsequent work. You will be required to submit records for all work completed following your Bachelor's degree regardless of the admission requirements for your specific program.

I was a UIC student. Do I need to obtain transcripts to submit with my application?

The Office of Admissions and Records does not require students to submit transcripts for prior work done at UIC. We have access to your UIC transcripts through our student system. Some departments may require you to submit UIC transcripts to them for their records. You will need to contact your academic program regarding their policies.
Please note, while we are part of one university system, we cannot obtain transcripts from UIUC or UIS internally. You will need to have transcripts from those institutions sent.

I participated in a semester, year, or summer abroad program. Do I need to submit a transcript from the Institution where I studied abroad?

If your study abroad work was completed during your last 60 semester hours or last 90 quarter hours of your undergraduate coursework, and it is not listed on your current University's transcript as study abroad credit, you will need to submit an official transcript from the study abroad institution.

I am applying for readmission. I submitted credentials when I was first admitted. Do I need to submit them again?

The Office of Admissions and Records typically keeps the records of students who were admitted and registered for classes for several years. If you are applying for readmission, there is a chance that the documents you initially submitted are still on file. An admissions counselor will be able to verify if your old records are still here and if they can be used toward completing your new application. In some cases, you will be asked to re-submit credentials.

I applied for admission, but was denied or unable to attend. I want to apply for a future term. Will you keep the documents that I already submitted?

The Office of Admissions and Records will keep the credentials for denied and cancelled students and for those who chose not to attend UIC for one calendar year. Documents submitted with a Fall 2007 application will not be purged until the beginning of the Fall 2008 term.

How can I ensure that all of my documents are matched to my application?

The easiest way to ensure that all of your documents are safely matched to your application is by sending them in one packet that contains all identifying information. We suggest that students request to have all transcripts sent to their home address. As long as you do not break the seal on the envelopes, your transcripts will be considered official. Collect all of the documents required and mail them to UIC in one packet. Send all academic credentials such as transcripts, marksheets, degree certificates, financial documents, and TOEFL/IELTS scores directly to the Office of Admissions and Records. Supplementary materials like letters of recommendation, personal statements, writing samples, and other test scores should be sent to your program office.

Include your UIN (if known) on all materials. Always include your full, legal name along with any other names that may be used on your documents in addition to your date of birth and current mailing address.

How can I get my documents (or copies of them) back?

All documents submitted to UIC become the property of the University. Documents will not be released to the applicant or forwarded to other institutions or agencies. Please do not submit your original or only set of academic credentials. No documents will be returned to you.

What does ?official? transcripts/degree mean?

Official documents are those which have been issued by the university and bear an original attestation. In the United States, sealed transcripts issued directly from the Registrar's office are considered official. The university may issue transcripts directly to UIC or to the student. As long as the seal is not broken, the transcripts will be considered official. We will not accept transcripts or degrees printed off the web.

From foreign institutions, copies of original documents which have been attested by the Registrar or Controller of Examinations and sealed by the same individual will be considered as official. Each document should be attested.

My documents have been reviewed by the United States Educational Foundation (Education USA). Are these acceptable? Are they considered official?

UIC does not consider academic credentials which have passed through the hands of a third party as official. We may take these documents for processing purposes if they fulfill our requirements. However, in order for documents to be considered official, they always need to be submitted from the issuing university directly.

I sent official documents from an international institution. Why am I being asked for them again?

Sometimes the Office of Admissions and Records will use documents to process your application and make a decision, but these same documents will not be sufficient for completing your permanent record. Documents may be considered unofficial for the following reasons:

My documents are in a language other than English. What is an acceptable method for having them translated?

The Office of Admissions requires literal, certified translations for all documents issued in a language other than English. Translations should be on a translator's letterhead and should be literal (not an interpretation). We accept translations from ATA certified translators, court-appointed translators, or from the consulate. You may find an ATA translator at their web site: Plain translations, notarized translations, and translations done by someone other than a certified translator are not acceptable. Evaluations performed by agencies such as WES and ECE will not be used in place of certified translations.

Should I obtain an ECE or WES evaluation?

For students applying to graduate programs, the Office of Admissions and Records does not require students to submit credential evaluations (ECE or WES reports). The Graduate Admissions office will perform its own review of your academic course work. We will not accept evaluations performed by another agency in place of your original transcripts, marksheets, or degrees. Evaluations will also not be used in place of certified, English translations.

back to top of page back up

Evidence of Financial Support

When do I need to submit my bank statement and financial certification?

Though not required until after admission, the Office of International Services strongly recommends that financial documents be submitted during the application process so that acceptable documentation is on file once an international applicant has been admitted. These items will be requested through the Application Summary, once submitted applications are ready to receive uploaded materials. Please visit the Office of International Services website at for additional information on financial document requirements and follow up with them for any inquiries you may have about financial document requirements and I-20 processing.

Submission of financial documentation does not affect application review and admission.

Where do I need to send my financial documents?

Financial documents should be sent to OIS at the following address:

Office of International Services (MC 326)
University of Illinois at Chicago
2160 Student Services Building
1200 West Harrison Street
Chicago, IL 60607-7164

What is an acceptable bank statement?

For more detailed information regarding correct formats for bank statements, please visit

Do I have to use the UIC Declaration and Certification of Finances or can I submit a different affidavit of support?

The UIC Declaration and Certification of Finances form must ALWAYS be submitted for students who are seeking an I-20 or DS-2019. Other affidavits of support may be submitted in addition to the UIC Declaration, but will not be accepted in its place. The UIC Declaration and Certification of Finances may be found at: .

Please visit for further instructions regarding the Declaration and Certification of Finances and other affidavits.

back to top of page back up

Evidence of English Competency

Although there are other languages, English is commonly spoken in my country. Do I need to take TOEFL/IELTS?

Yes. TOEFL/IELTS exemptions are not determined by the prevalence of spoken English in your country. If a TOEFL/IELTS score is being requested of you then students from your country do not qualify for an automatic waiver.

All classes at my university were taught in English. Do I need to take TOEFL/IELTS?

Yes. TOEFL/IELTS exemptions are not determined by the language of instruction at your university.

How can I receive a TOEFL/IELTS waiver?

You may qualify for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver if you can provide the following:

 back to top of page back up