Academic ProgramsPublic AdminstrationUrban Planning & PolicyUrban & Public Affairsblank
Research CentersCenter for Urban Economic DevelopmentGreat Cities InstituteGreat Cities Urban Data VisualizationInstitute for Research on Race & Public PolicyNathalie P Voorhees CenterSurvey Research LaboratoryUrban Transportation Center
Department of Urban Planning and Policy Current Students
Prospective Students
Current Students
Program Requirements
Financial Awards
Study Abroad
Student Life
Career Development
Navigating UIC
Planning Links
Certificate Programs
Contact UPP
Site Map
Urban Data Visualization Laboratory

Academic Grievance Procedures

Click here for the Graduate College's academic grievance procedures.

Important Dates for Academic Year 13-14

Download a calendar here.

Alumni Testimonial

The testimonial below was recently sent to several members of the UPP faculty and staff....the graduate has agreed to have it shared publicly.

"....I'm writing this to let you know about what skills/classes were most useful to me and getting this job.  I could not have gotten this job without the internship.  Even though it was unpaid, my work there led directly to the connections and products that got me the job.  Ironically, I would not have been qualified for the internship if it wasn't for the knowledge I gained in 505/506.  Coastal zone planning and watershed planning share many of the same contacts in the Chicagoland area and I was able to leverage those contacts I made during 505/506 during my internship. (click here to read more). I also don't think I would have done half as well in 505/506 or have had much interest in those topics were it not for having Professor Iversen for 502 and absorbing his passion for environmental issues and deciding that there just aren't enough people out there working toward environmental issues.  I use my design skills in InDesign (460) regularly in designing the layouts of the executive summaries and final plans (and an occasional poster as well).  Although we have another coworker in the office that focuses on GIS, I use GIS (461, 462) fairly regularly and I would say well over 50 GIS maps go into any one watershed plan that we produce.  Much of the data we collect in field is mapped into layers that we use to determine where the most critical areas in the watershed are.  And every professor connected to UDVL is fantastic to work with.  The policy knowledge I gained in Professor Jaffe's Economics and Environmental Planning (571) and working with him again on my master's were crucial and have been probably one of the most important ways in which I have been able to increase the value of the plans we are already writing since the majority of my coworkers are either ecologists or landscape architects and know very little of policy.  I also am working regularly with [a practitioner] (who I met through 558), because he is managing the grant for one of our watershed plans.

So, long story short, I sure didn't know where my journey at UIC would take me, but I am happy to tell you that I love my new job and am thrilled to be working on water issues, for which I have a passion.  And I'll probably never have to manage a restaurant again so the gamble of going back to school has more than paid itself off.  Thank you all for helping me to get to where I am now.

Internship sites

New students, if you're interested in where students have recently done internships, check this page.

Master's Project Library

Students can now access the Master's Project Library to review topics, methodological approaches, format and presentation of projects submitted by recent graduates. Please follow the instructions below:

Accessing the Master’s Project library (located in Room 225)

Graduation and Diplomas

Completion of Master's Project/Thesis

If you previously registered for UPP 597 or 598 and did not complete your project or thesis by the due date (not the end of semester), you received a DF (Deferred Grade). When you complete your project or thesis satisfactorily, the grade will then be changed to an S.

Intent to Graduate

The Intent to Graduate process must be completed for the term you intend to graduate.  The process requires submission of an on-line form, which is available from the time when registration for the term begins through the Friday of the third week of fall and spring semesters, or through the second week of the summer semester. A full explanation of the process is on the Graduate College webpage.

Please note: If you complete an Intent to Graduate form for one term and do not complete all graduation requirements (including Master's Project or thesis submitted by the due date), you will not graduate that term. You must complete another Intent to Graduate for the new term in which you are attempting to graduate.


The Diploma is recognition of completion of your degree, although the
official document attesting to completion of a degree is the
transcript.  Diplomas are mailed to graduates approximately three months
after the term of graduation.  Diplomas are mailed after Fall, Spring
and Summer terms and are not connected with the Spring term commencement ceremonies.

Diplomas are sent to the student's official mailing address in the
student database.  Students may change the mailing address as needed
using the Student Self-Service.

Alternatively, students may enter a Diploma Mailing Address in
Student Self-Service (which may be different than the regular mailing
address) up until one week after final exams end.  If the Diploma
Mailing Address
needs to be added or changed after that time, the
student must contact the Office of Registration and Records (Records) in
the Office of Admissions and Records.  If the diploma is not
received after three months, or there are questions about the diploma,
the Office of Registration and Records (Records) should be consulted.

For contact information and additional information about diplomas
consult the diploma section of the Registration and Records website.