Campus Crime Alerts
Saturday, May 18, 2013
On May 18, at 3:20 p.m., a UIC student was the victim of an armed robbery off-campus in the 1400 block of West Lexington Street. The student reported she was approached from behind by two female offenders, one of whom called her attention. As the victim turned, she was sprayed in the face with an unknown substance that stung her eyes and face and was pushed to to the ground. The offenders took her possessions and fled in a moving dark blue SUV, possibly a 90's model Jeep, described as boxy shaped, with a black male driver and an unknown person in the back seat. They sped off eastbound on Lexington. The victim, who sustained minor cuts to her elbows and knees, was treated on-scene by CFD paramedics and declined further medical attention.
UIC Police strongly recommend complying with an armed offender whose intent appears to be property or valuables, as the victim did in this case.
The UIC Police/Chicago Police Department Joint Robbery Task Force and CPD Central Area Detectives will conduct the follow-up investigation.
In addition to the accomplices in the vehicle, the offenders are described as black females, one in her early 20s, 5-6 to 5-8 tall, of medium build, with a black ponytail and unknown attire. The other is in her mid-30s, 5-6 to 5-8 tall, of medium --build, with short black hair, wearing a grey and neon-green track suit.
Anyone with information is asked to call UIC Police at 312-996-2830.
UIC Police offer the following security tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Use all five of your senses to be alert for danger, and when walking alone, don't wear headphones or earbuds.
- Try to travel in groups when possible, particularly after dark.
- Use well-lit walkways.
- On campus, look for the location of the nearest emergency call box (there are more than 1,500 across campus).
- The emergency number for UIC Police is 5-5555 or 312-355-5555, which should be set on speed-dial on your cell phone.
- Report crime promptly to police.
Residence Hall Safety tips:
- Call UIC Police immediately for all emergencies at 312-355-5555
- Call R.A. and R.D. only after notifying police
- Always lock doors/windows in residence halls
- Keep blinds closed
- Report any suspicious activity/persons to UIC Police
© Copyright 2013 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois